Saturday, November 17, 2007

Zuppa Toscana (Inspired by the Olive Garden)

Randy says the sausage is the most important ingredient, but I say it's the kale! This is a recipe I have to keep saved on my computer because I get asked quite often for a copy.

1 lb. ground Hot Italian sausage
½ lb. bacon, chopped
7-9 medium potatoes, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced **If you have a potato slicer that can get your potatoes really thin, you don't need to cut them lengthwise
1 medium onion, diced or shredded
1 1/4 t. minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 c. kale leaves, chopped
4-5 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth (enough to just cover the potatoes & onion)
1 pt.. or less heavy whipping cream,
Salt & pepper to taste (I don't add any b/c I think the broth, bacon & sausage give it enough flavor)

Place broth, potatoes, garlic & onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until onions and potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, brown the sausage & bacon. I microwave the sausage & bacon in my batter bowl (separately) in 3 min. intervals-draining the fat and crumbling the meat after each interval. Usually cooks in 6-7 min. Add the sausage and bacon to the soup. Simmer 10 minutes. Add kale and cream, season with salt and pepper. Heat through and serve.

2 comments:

Mrs. Burch said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Yeah, that is a winner. I couldn't believe how much it tastes exactly like the original. WOW! That's going on my favorites list for SURE. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kerri!