Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Crepes - My Favorite Breakfast, Any Time of Day


Ingredients

1 Cup All Purpose Flour

1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar

1 Cup Milk

2 Eggs

3 Tbs Butter or Margarine - Melted

1 tsp Vanilla

1/4 tsp salt


Preparation

Combine ingredients into a bowl. Mix. I've found it's easiest to combine all of the dry ingredients and the slowly mix in each of the liquids while working out the clumps.


Heat a small pan to medium heat and then drop a little bit of butter on the pan and work it around to coat evenly. Give a good dollop of batter and move the pan around to ensure an even coating. Once the bubbles all pop, flip it over until golden brown.


Crepes are traditionally a breakfast food, however they are also enjoyable with minced meats for afternoon meals. My personal favorite is fresh chopped strawberries with whipped creme, but when all else fails they are still good with a little bit of jam and powdered sugar and cinnamon.


This was the highlight of my trips to my late Granny's house growing up and my Dad makes them almost as good as she did. My missionary companions from France and Belgium each had their own way for making the batter. One of them would make the batter hours in advance and then refridgerate it to make sure all of the bubbles had time to surface. I didn't notice much of a difference in the taste and it seemed more complicated than it needed to be. Don't forget to try them with a slice of vanilla ice cream wrapped up (oh yes, don't fold your crepes, roll them) and caramel sauce and whipped cream on top... I think I'll make some now.

2 comments:

Nora's world said...

So when are you inviting us over?

Blume Bunch said...

NEW RULE: NO PICTURES THAT LOOK THAT GOOD!!!! Especially wnhen a pregnant person can look at them at 10 at night and be DYING for them now! youre in so much trouble!