I made this for our Halloween party and everyone absolutely loved it. I was nervous that it would be too pumpkiny, but it wasn't at all. So delicious.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 4 hours
Yields: 8 servings
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 cup water
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
1 10-12 pound sugar pumpkin
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place beef in the saucepan and cook until evenly brown. Mix in the water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 2 hours.
2. Dissolve the bouillon into the beef mixture. Stir in the tomatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
4. Cut top off the pumpkin and remove seeds and pulp. Place the pumpkin in a heavy baking pan. Fill the pumpkin with the beef mixture. Place the pumpkin lid back on. Brush outside of the pumpkin with remaining oil.
5. Bake pumpkin 2 hours, or until tender. Serve the stew from the pumpkin, scraping out some of the pumpkin meat with each serving.