Nothing warms the soul like a rich and savory winter squash soup. This delectable recipe comes from Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa Executive Chef Thomas O’Keefe. (Serves 8)
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground white pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
1.Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss squash, onions and thyme in olive oil. Spread mixture onto one or two large baking sheets. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 20–30 minutes until tender, stirring once or twice.
2.Remove from oven and transfer to a large saucepot. Add chicken broth, wine, and cardamom. Simmer 10 minutes.
3.Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan and taste for seasonings.
4.When ready to serve, bring back to simmer, remove from heat and whisk in cream.