Sugar Cookies with Icing (Another one from our favorite spa)
Making cookies together is a great way to reconnect with friends and family during this hectic time of the year. This recipe is sure to put smiles on everyone’s faces, and bring laughter and love into the kitchen.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat the butter and both sugars in another medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, about 30 seconds.
3.Add the egg yolks, vanilla and lemon zest mixing until fully incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture, and continue beating until the dough comes together.
For cutout cookies:
1. Divide dough in half, pat into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
2. Roll dough between lightly floured parchment, or waxed paper, until about 1/3-inch thick.
3. Transfer sheets to a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
4. Cut into fun holiday shape using a cookie cutter, place them on ungreased baking sheets, leaving about 1-inch between cookies.
5. Refrigerate cookies while preheating the oven to 375 degrees F, for at least 30 minutes.
6. Bake the cookies, until the bottoms are golden, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on shape.
7. Cool on sheets until firm enough to transfer to a rack to cool.
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) egg whites
- 4 1/2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, on medium-low speed.
3. Add the lemon juice and beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the icing is no longer shiny, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Optional – For color, add food coloring.