Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fried Rice

Fried Rice

1 1/3 c. uncooked white rice
1 2/3 c. water
(I cook my rice in a cooker and do 2 scoops with 2 ½ c. water)
3-4 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
3 T. vegetable oil, divided-Sometimes I use more, usually olive oil
¼-½ lb. cooked ham, cubed
1/8-1/4 c. soy sauce
Frozen peas-I just add until I get the right consistency
2-4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Sesame seed oil to taste-a little goes a long way

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, season eggs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tsp. oil (or use cooking spray) in small frying pan, pour in eggs. Coat the bottom of the pan with the eggs. Cook for about 3 minutes, flip the eggs and cook for one more minute. Cut into small pieces and set aside. Add remaining ingredients until heated through. Sometimes I’ll substitute the ham with bacon, using the bacon drippings instead of oil. Chicken also works. All of these ingredients can be improvised to your taste. I have to admit, I use quite a bit of oil because it gives it more of an authentic taste. Also, day old rice makes this recipe even better, but usually never think that far ahead!

No comments: