Thursday, January 3, 2008

Baked Macaroni and Cheese


This recipe is so good! Low fat, it's not, but I have had some success using lower fat ingredients such as milk and sour cream, though I wouldn't bother with nonfat sour cream. I also use less cheddar than this recipe calls for...or I double everything except the sour cream and cheddar. Whatever works...it's the best version I've ever eaten.
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1-1/2 c. milk
  • 1-1/2c. sour cream
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 T. pepper
  • 10 oz. bar mild cheddae cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour into a 3-qt. casserole
In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and sour cream. Add salt and pepper.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce bubbles and thickens.
Reserve 1 c. grated cheese for the top of the casserole. Toss macaroni with remaining cheese.
Pour sauce over macaroni and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and brown.
Serve immediately.

Serves 6

2 comments:

Ren said...

We had two other couples, both with babies about the same age as mine. I made this recipe, and everyone loved it, especially the babies! Which is saying something, since it's the first pasta I've been able to get my nine month old to eat.

Tanya said...

SOOO good and so very low fat =)