Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mexican Manicotti

I adapted this recipe from Simplifysupper.com, which gives you a customizable calendar every month of different recipes (no recipe is repeated) as well as shopping lists. :)

1 pound ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 can refried beans
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 package jumbo shells (I used 15)
1 can enchilada sauce, 10 ounce size
8 oz Mexican style cheese, shredded

Cook ground beef with onion. Boil jumbo shells according to package directions. In a bowl, combine cooked beef, refried beans, chili powder, oregano and 1/2 the cheese. Spoon into cooked shells. Arrange shells in the bottom of a 8*8 baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. You can also top with diced green onions, sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, etc. Bake additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.

The girls both asked for seconds, which means this recipe is a keeper.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I"m a little confused(and cooking challenged)....what's a Jumbo Shell? Like a tortilla?

Nora's world said...

They are large pasta. The original recipe calls for manicotti, but I hate filling them. http://www.barillaus.com/Home/Pages/Barilla-JumboShellsPasta.aspx

Kelly said...

THANKS! Now I totally get it! I'm so the girl who buys cookbooks iwth photos of every recipe--becuase I need the visual!

I'll have to try this one, my kids love pasta and mexican!